Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Missouri History

I LOVE history. It's not my favorite subject, however I am fascinated by events in our history, especially local history. Tonight was the fourth grade Missouri history program for Eugene Field students. It's the twelfth time I've seen it, so I quietly sang along with the songs, did a few low-key actions, and mouthed a good number of the speaking parts. It's a bunch of nine- and ten-year-old kids doing a school program, so it's not perfect, but it's worth going to see one of these years if you haven't. You learn lots of things about our state and its events.

Did you know that more Civil War battles were fought in Missouri than in any other state other than West Virginia or Tennessee? Or that the St. Louis World Fair in 1904, which commemorated the 100th anniversary of the Louis and Clark Expedition was where ice cream first gained popularity? Well, I'm sure you can imagine how I know those things! Haha!

It's good to look forward, but we can truly learn so much from the past.

1 comment:

  1. I love history! I will have to make a point to go one year! Thanks for sharing this cute little event!

    ReplyDelete