Friday, March 9, 2018

A few of my favorites

I have lots of favorite things, but here's a small variety:

1.  Using large or unusual words.  It may sound pretentious, but I genuinely love learning (and subsequently using) large words.  ("Hunormous" words as my 4-year-old would say.)

2.  Watching historical British shows.  I enjoy shows like Downton Abbey, Father Brown, and Call the Midwife, for example.  History fascinates me, especially the Civil War and WWII eras, but regardless of when the show takes place, I enjoy listening to a variety of European accents.

3.  Reading.  I do read a wide variety of books, but I tend to avoid ones that are known for being overly graphic with violence or descriptive in an intimate nature.  I don't care for that.  However, if it's a young-adult book, historical fiction, Christian fiction, contemporary romance, or others that allow me to escape to a different world of characters and happenings, I'm in.

4.  Running.  I'm not great at it, and I will probably never win anything other than a finisher's medal, I do enjoy seeing how far or fast I can go.  It's also a wonderful "me time" activity.  Being an introvert in an extroverted world of teaching and motherhood means that I need avenues for retracting into myself.  Running (as well as watching shows and reading) is a great option for me.

5 comments:

  1. I need to try more British shows. Have you considered the Crown? I haven't watched it, but all my siblings went on the Downtown Abbey stretch but me. I liked some of the British comedies that would come on regular TV. I would watch them with my mom, and we would crack up. Keeping Up Appearances and one about a store that I cannot think of the name of at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I do watch that show. He's not big on many of the shows I watch, but he does like that one!

      Delete
  2. Like Mary, I was going to ask about The Crown! I have started watching it and recommend it. My friend got me hooked on Call the Midwife a few years ago. So good! Also, I can completely relate to #4. I'm certainly not a runner, but I run because it challenges me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do like The Crown!

      I was able to get a good run in this morning for 70 min. It helps start my weekend off well. :)

      Delete
  3. Well aren't you the little anorak?!! ;)

    ReplyDelete