Monday, March 5, 2018

Motivation Monday (Or a lack thereof)

How do you motivate yourself?  Especially when you don't feel like it?  I started off the 2018 year doing great in terms of keeping things scheduled and organized at home--with three kids under 10 you have to have some systems in place or it all falls apart pretty quickly.  But I also was doing very well with my running and cross-training workouts.  February was a bit rougher, but March hasn't been great, either.  I have yet to run this month, and my next race is a half-marathon in May.  This doesn't bode well.

Motivation, or I should say energy, comes and goes.  One thing you may not know about me is I have an autoimmune disease called chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, also known as Hashimoto's disease.  It falls under the category of hypothyroidism, but it's a specific type where my body produces antibodies that attack my thyroid.  I'm currently in a cycle of testing and adjusting medicine, and I can feel when things are "off."  I always used to be a night owl, and it didn't phase me to stay up half the night and then function the next day on very little sleep.  That worked well for me when my babies were little.  However I'm no longer able to do that most of the time.  In fact, some nights I'm asleep on the couch before 8:00 because my body has been fighting too much on the inside to have the energy to stay up any longer.  So, on the days I do have an abundance of energy, I take advantage of it and pray that I have more good days to come. :)

2 comments:

  1. Stephany at the high school has this as well. I wonder if you can share diet items. I have little energy, and I am not fighting this. I have to give myself pep talks, or be realistic and do what I can and call it a night. I hope and pray you have answers for more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can't, and shouldn't, offer any advice on the auto-immune disease, I'll be praying you get answers! As far as running, I picked it back up last week after "taking the cold winter off." I attempt to motivate myself with buying new music and keeping in mind people I know would give anything to have the chance to run again. You got this!!

    ReplyDelete