Thursday, March 8, 2018

Fun and Games

I grew up in a family who loved to play games.  I remember family poker nights where the chips were Goldfish crackers, so if you didn't have any "chips" left to ante up because you ate them, you just grabbed more out of the bowl. :)  We played lots of other games, too, and I love playing game with my kids.  I'd like to say we have a designated "family game night" where we have a set night of the week or month where we always set aside time to play games, but we don't.  Maybe that's something I could make happen in the near future.  It wouldn't hurt.  It would be a good thing for our family to unplug and laugh and play together on a regular basis.  We have lots of games because we buy the kids a new game every Christmas to open on Christmas Eve.  This past year we bought Qwirkle.  I'm obsessed with getting games that require strategy, thinking, and planning because I always want to challenge my kids, even while we're having fun, and this game does not disappoint!  It says it's for ages 6 and up, but even my 4-year-old can understand the simple rules of the game.  I highly recommend it for all ages, school-aged thru adults.  We also tend to buy a game in the middle of summer since it's on the opposite side of the calendar from Christmas and it gives us something fun to look forward to in the summer.  What kid-friendly games do you love?


Image result for qwirkle

7 comments:

  1. I love to play Monopoly, Clue, and Life. Sorry is another one I don't mind and I love UNO and Connect Four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Clue! That's on my to-buy list for family games for sure. :) We have various versions of Life, Monopoly, and Uno already. We love the classics!!

      Delete
  2. My parents used to host a poker night with friends. When I was little I had a skill of seeing penny's on the ground from 20 yards away. My mom decided I could start a penny collection. (I wound up with just under a $100 by the time I cashed them in.) Anyway, they'd use my penny collection instead of chips... :) I like the goldfish idea better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A penny collection would be more lucrative than my daughter's habit of finding and collecting rocks. :D

      Delete
  3. I've never played Quirkle but it looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like Sequence for a board game, but we also like race games like 5 Second Rule, Scattergories Categories, and Things. Have you played Ticket to Ride? We did not buy it, but after all these snow days, I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't played Ticket to Ride, although I've only heard rave reviews on it. It's quite pricey, so I was waiting for the kids to be a bit older so that we could get that one for a family game. There's a junior version, but for that cost I'd rather only have to get one. Haha!!

      Delete