Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Practice Drills

I have a love-hate relationship with practice drills of the emergency sort.  Tornadoes, intruders, and all that.  I suppose it's not so bad now because you get to sit up or stand, but doing tornado drills in the "olden" days where you lined the hallway in the "crouched with your head down and hiney up position, sometimes two-deep, I was always afraid I would be head-to-hiney with someone who would let loose and blast me in the face.  Yikes!

In all seriousness, I'm the nervous sort.  My blood pressure and anxiety go sky-high when we do drills.  I try to school the look on my face so it seems as though I'm calm and in control, but it makes me nervous.  All the what-ifs run through my mind all the time and I can't help but feel like it's the real deal.  That, as well as the potentially unpleasant scenario I depicted above are the "hate" part of the relationship.

The "love" part is the fact that hopefully, if push comes to shove, we'll be so well versed in what to do that everything will work out just fine because we'll be ready.

4 comments:

  1. I so remember the "olden" ways of doing drills...we had to carry a textbook out to the hallway with us and place it over our head...the hallway...no wonder a company named their vacuum the "WIND TUNNEL"...same scenario...just suck us all up out of that hallway...no book would have ever mattered!! LOL It is a wonder any of my generation has lived!! Lead paint, no car seats and certainly no seatbelts, tummy sleeping, riding in the back of a pickup truck...up on the rail...barefoot all summer long, spanked with paddles or belts, and mercurochrome aka monkey blood...I AM A SURVIVOR!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we should pretend it could be the real deal, so we take it seriously. Drills definitely set me on edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! If we take them seriously, then they serve the intended purpose. :)

      Delete