Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Circle of Life

I got to thinking today about how one thing leads to another, and sometimes those things aren't directly related, but they still flow, much like the circle of life.

This May my very first group of teaching babies will graduate.  I student taught kindergarten in Girard, KS years ago, and those kiddos are preparing to spread their wings and fly.  It's a bit bittersweet for sure.  I've kept in touch with my cooperating teacher, but I have only seen her in person a handful of times since I left her classroom, so I look forward to hugging her neck and catching up with her.  The unique thing about my student teaching experience is that I did something PDS (professional development school, or some such title like that).  What was special about that is I was connected with my cooperating teacher for a whole year!  I met with her and helped get the classroom ready for the fall.  We sat and cut out hundreds of little colored shapes--a different color and shape each day for the first full week with their name printed on it, to practice shape recognition as well as it being a way for us to learn their names quickly and easily.  I went to the district's back-to-school inservice days and was there the first day of classes.  Once the semester got going, I was only required to be there 15 hours per week, but I did all of my pre-student teaching practicum lessons there at that school.  Then, when my student teaching semester happened, I already knew the kids and started taking over the class the first or second week back from Christmas break.  It was glorious!  Having such a well-rounded view of teaching while student teaching truly made me the best teacher I could be.

Anyway, back to the whole circle of life thing... My own baby (the final one anyway since all three of them will always be my babies) will be going to kindergarten this fall.  My first babies will fly the coop and my final baby will begin testing her own wings.  I can't wait to see where she flies, too!

2 comments: