Wednesday, March 7, 2018

The Night the Lights Went Out

So there was this one time the lights went out...  Okay, yes, the lights went out at the MAP banquet last night, and it was handled by our Webb City administration and staff (as well as Empire crews and first responders) beautifully, but that's not the night I'm talking about.

A few years ago, around 1992-ish, I was a young tyke in lower elementary school.  The night, Halloween.  I was dressed as a cheerleader in my homemade costume (dude, my mom can sew for reals!), and we were going to go trick-or-treating.  But this year happened to be a cold one.  A really cold one.  It was snowing and icing, so we didn't stay out long.  It was dark out (because this was back in the day where you actually waited for the sun to be down before you went out), but every once in a while there would be this eerie flash of turquoise light and a loud noise.  The snow and ice was causing the transformers on the power poles to blow.  This contributed to the darkness because then the streetlights went out as well.  By the time we got home we were quite freezing and hungry.  Since the power was out, my mom said, "Well, I guess I can't cook dinner."  My younger brother had a solution, "Just put some hot dogs in the microwave!"  Little did he realize that the microwave required electricity.  That's okay, he was only 6 or something.  Anyway, we sat together in the living room with flashlights for lighting and ate candy for dinner.  And that was the night the lights went out. :)

3 comments:

  1. My teeth are hurting now!!! Lol! I remember one night when we lived west of town. Our little country home sat up on a hill so it overlooked the town of Columbus. We noticed what appeared to be lightning and watched out our dining room windows as transformer after transformer blew...it was like the 4th of July! If I had to guess, it was probably 1999...for reals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I'm going to be singing "That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia" for the rest of the day.

    Loved the post. :)

    ReplyDelete