Sunday, March 19, 2017

Beauty and the Beast

I absolutely love Beauty and the Beast.  Well, Disney's version(s) at least.  I've never actually read the original version.  I might someday, but I kind of love the tame, kid-friendly version.

I went to see the new movie on Friday night with a few girlfriends, and we had so much fun!  It was really, really hard not to sing along with the songs as the movie went on, and I only sang a little bit, quietly.  I thought Emma Watson was an absolutely darling Belle.  She had the right amount of softness, but she brought a certain power to the role.  In the animated version we knew Belle was independent, but Emma's portrayal went beyond independence.  She was fierce and brave in the face of her situations.

The other characters were well cast, in my opinion, and the whole movie still held the same overall feeling of the "original" animation.  One change I absolutely loved was the expanded storyline.  While I didn't feel there were any gaps in the animated version, the additional information about Belle's mom, as well as Beast's transformation and the nearby village, only added to the story without detracting from what was already in place.  Some of those things may be in the literary original, I don't know, but even still, I absolutely loved the movie.  🌹

No comments:

Post a Comment