Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Tables Have Turned...or Not

Over the course of almost 11 years of marriage I can probably count on one hand the number of times my husband has been down and out, health-wise.  On the other hand I've had three c-sections and two laproscopic surgeries for endometriosis, all of which limited me quite a bit, even if it was for only 1-2 weeks each time.  That's not counting the times I've gotten strep throat so bad I was quarantined away from the kids.  Yuck!  Seriously, my husband is a rock star when it comes to taking care of me when I've been sick or otherwise unable to pull my weight with household and kid-related duties.

So, when he was scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on his knee to repair a torn meniscus, I thought I would get to take care of him and pamper him.  Yeah right!  I was there to keep him company before and after the procedure, as well as drive him home, but as we arrived back in town (his surgery was at the orthopedic hospital in Springfield) he wanted to stop at WalMart to grab a few things and was already out of the van and heading toward the store before I was out.  So much for running in and getting what he needed!

After getting home, he kept getting up to get his own food and drinks, and he started doing the dishes rather than leaving them for me.  I did convince him to go sit down and let me finish them, but he was certain he could do it just fine.

So even though I thought I would finally get my chance to repay him even a little bit for all the times he's taken care of me, he still tried to do things that would be helpful to me instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment