Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Creating a Habit

I've heard so many different thoughts on the topic of building a habit (or even breaking one if it's undesirable).

Some say it takes 21 days, others 31.  I think it all depends on if you're simply creating a habit or if you're breaking one while creating a new one.  It probably also depends on how long the habit you're trying to break has been taking place.  You know?

I reflect on all of that to say I'm working on some habits.  Sugar is a bad one.  Probably one of the worst.  I can't have a lot of commercially made sweets because of an allergy to wheat and gluten, but I can make a mean homemade cookie.  And by golly I can eat about eight of those suckers before anyone knows what has happened.  So, on top of making a habit to get back into running regularly--there's NO way I'd be able to run a half marathon right now even though I did one less than a year ago--I'm working on reforming my eating.  I'm using the 21-Day Fix food plan, so I know I'll be able to eat plenty of food, but I'm pretty sure I'll have moments of "hangriness" because for some reason cookies aren't listed under one of the food categories.  Neither are potato chips, and I love me some good, salty crunchiness, too.  Oh, well.  Once I get through this 21-day cycle I'll treat myself if I need to, but I don't want to undo my good habits, right?

5 comments:

  1. Coffee. I'm scared to imagine what I'd be like without coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Travis is scary without coffee. I have never liked the stuff. :D

      Delete
  2. I think cookies should totally be on the list of food you can eat!! Like Ryan, I can't imagine EVER cutting coffee out of my life. Just the thought is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Cookies just might be my cheat treat once I reach some weight loss goals. As for coffee, I've never liked the stuff, but my husband is a bit of a bear without it. :D

      Delete