Sunday, March 26, 2017

Community

Friendship, fellowship, community.

One can never overestimate the value of those things.  Our life group recently expanded and added a few new couples to the three who've been together for several years.  Because of this recent addition, we've been doing a video series on community.  Basically laying a foundation for the group and the importance of making strong connections so that when life gets tough and the enemy is attacking, you know you've got some people in your corner.

We typically meet every other Sunday night, but our last one was three weeks ago.  At that life group meeting we watched a video session about telling your story.  Pretty much just about putting out there in front of the group the good, the bad, and the ugly of what life has thrown at you.  Being vulnerable so that they can see the real you, and not just the you with the facade you let the masses see.  Since my husband and I lead the life group, I went first in sharing, but since we only had time for one person to share after the video and group discussion, I was the only one to share.  It was humbling.  It was a bit emotional, but it was good.  And, even the other couples who have known me for years learned new things about me that they didn't know before.  But the trust is there, and I know they are for me.

Tonight we met again, and after sitting and chatting, plus eating some really yummy snacks, a few more people shared.  And it was so good.  I already knew bits and pieces of their stories from conversations and doing life together, but it was amazing to hear them lay it out like the did.  And, honestly, as humbling as it was for me to lay my story out there for others, I think it was more humbling to listen to their stories.  Why?  Because that means they trust me, they trust the group.  They've bought in to the idea that we will be there for them and have their back when things get rough, and they will.  But when you have people who know your heart and love you no matter what, that's a pretty great place to be.

If you don't have a group like that, find some people who can know the real you.  The real you is worth knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment