Friday, March 10, 2017

Quotable Quotes

I'm thankful for Fridays and for being approximately 1/3 of the way through this challenge.  :)

Each week I put a "fact of the day" and a "quote of the day."  It may sound odd that I do a new something of the day each WEEK, but when my students are only with me one day a week, a single fact/quote lasts a whole week in my room.

Anyway, this week's quote was about success.  I want my students to be successful--what teacher wouldn't.  But I also want my students to fail.  At something.  At least on occasion.  Why?  Because I want them to know that it's okay to fail.  It's okay to mess up and have to rework something; to learn from their mistakes and move on, becoming better as they go.  In light of that, I feel this week's quote by Bill Gates is perfectly appropriate:

"Success is a lousy teacher.  It seduces 
smart people into thinking they can't lose."

Wow, right?  This is so important for all people, but I think it's really critical for my students.  They learn more from the times they fail, than they do if they never fail at all.

So go, try something new, even if you're pretty sure you'll fail.  You might learn something about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment